I’m listening to all 1,001 of the 1,001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, referring to this list, published in 2005.
- I had already listened to 149 of the albums on the list prior to starting the project. At some point I will write about these too, but to begin with I’ll write about the 852 I hadn’t previously heard.
- There are later versions of the book. This one only gets as far as 2005 and the latest version of the book came out in 2013. Once I’ve finished with the 2005 edition, I will probably listen to the albums that came out between 2006 and whenever I finish the project too. This will probably mean some gaps if a pre-2005 album is included in later versions of the book (for example: no ‘In The Aeroplane Over The Sea’ in the 2005 edition – surely an oversight) unless I can work out a way of identifying those easily.
- Generally you get my first reaction to the albums and I don’t tend to listen more than once before writing a review. I may well listen to the albums again if I’m interrupted mid-listen, and do listen to the ones I like again.
- I am looking forward to listening to a lot of the albums on the list. I’m dreading listening to some of the albums on the list. Hopefully it’ll be a fun mix.
- Why am I doing this? Because, between Youtube and Spotify, it’s never been easier to do. Because it expands my horizons and makes me listen to albums I’d never have otherwise heard/heard of. Because I’m a musician myself. Because I’m too often stuck in the white indie ghetto. Because, of all the 1001 Things To Do Before You Die, this one takes the least time and money (1001 hours compared to approx 2002 hours for films, 10,010 for books etc).
- Going in, my favourite albums on the list were ‘Fuzzy Logic’ by Super Furry Animals, ‘Dig Me Out’ by Sleater-Kinney and ‘The Dark Side of the Moon’ by Pink Floyd.
- My favourite albums that were not on the list were ‘Terria’ by Devin Townsend, ‘Barafundle’ by Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci and ‘Clear Hearts Grey Flowers’ by Jack Off Jill.